With the mural art in the foyer of the CologneTriangle, the artist ventures to render writing as a daily and natural form of communication consciously perceptible. The disproportionate size of the text portrayed allows one, instead of responding to the messages conveyed, to perceive writing as an aesthetic entity, as symbols in the sense of painting. This impression is reinforced by the handwriting used by the artist, which represents a conscious break in relation to the usual printed characters to which we are visually accustomed.
Translation of the mural painting
Building of the first Rhine bridge begun in 310 under King Constantine, in addition to fort divitia, from which the name Deutz is derived. After 430, the fort was made a royal court by Frankish conquerors, as the name proves: divitia civitas. Around 1002/03, Archbishop Heribert founds a Benedictine monastery on the banks of the Rhine; around 1020 the abbey church of Saint Heribert is consecrated. In 1230, Deutz is named a city and bears a seal of the city. Since the late Middle Ages, the city of Deutz suffered destruction on many occasions. After 1815, the Prussians extended Deutz and Cologne, making them the most powerful strongholds in the west; Deutz became a Prussian garrison city. In 1847, opening of the entire stretch of the Cologne-Minden railway from Deutz to Minden with a station at this point. In 1859, under Kaiser Friedrich Wilhelm IV the first train rolled over the first fixed Rhine bridge since Roman times. In 1864, the first motor factory in the world was founded in Cologne, which had been trading as the “Gasmotoren-fabrik Deutz” since 1872. In 1888, Deutz became an urban district of Cologne by suburbanisation. In 1913, construction of the dome of Deutz railway station. The station forecourt is named after the inventor of the gas- powered combustion engine, Nicolaus August Otto. In 1924, founding of Cologne trade fair under the Lord Mayor Konrad Adenauer. In 1936, opening of the Rhenish museum in the former Deutz cuirassier barracks as the “house of the Rhenish homeland”. In 1957, the Deutz Rhine Park is the venue for the first Federal garden show. In 1959, inauguration of the Landeshaus in Deutz as the head office of the Rhineland Regional Council. In 1998, construction of the Cologne Arena and the Stadthaus. In 2006, opening of the new trade fair halls and the CologneTriangle.
To the top | ©2007 Rheinische Versorgungskassen